Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:24:52 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Darryl Okahata wrote:

>      Ah, we need to remember that there is no such thing as a "best
> laptop"; it makes about as much sense as the "best car".  Everyone has
> different needs and wants.  For you and many others, weight is the most
> important parameter.  For me, "features/power" is most important, and
> weight/size is somewhat secondary.  My 7500 is almost 10 lbs (~4.5 kg);
> I carry it around in a backpack, and the total weight (backpack, laptop,
> and lots of junk) can be over 25 lbs (~11.3 kg).  For some people,
> that's an enormous weight, but I don't think it's too bad, and I'm NOT a
> tall/big person (well, I am beginning to grow sideways, but that's
> another matter ;-).

	That's true.  Everyone has their needs and preferences.  I guess
maybe carrying it in a backpack is easier than carrying a backpack for
college day life and then the ThinkPad 770Z which is 7 lbs inside the
5.6 lb case and being on a crowed bus.  It's a little inconvenient since
that's one of the reasons probably on why someone stole my wallet on a
crowded bus exactly a week ago today since I had too many things to watch.

>      The sleek VAIOs are attractive, but the lack of a built-in CDROM
> drive was what killed it for me.  However, if you don't need a CDROM
> drive, it's a great laptop.

	Never knew the VAIOs didn't have built-in CDROM drives.  I always
thought it did.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin