Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 08:46:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        rsowders@usgs.gov
Subject:   Re: Hard lockups since cvsup'ing Jul 1st. Help!

In article <OF9C18FD6E.59995745-ON88256A7E.00235244@wr.usgs.gov>,
Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov> wrote:

> I took a look at the cvsweb and
> noticed that mfs_vfsops.c was marked as removed at version 1.93 4 weeks
> ago by phk,

It was removed in -current, but not in -stable.  A file in CVS can
exist in some branches but not in others.

> but two weeks ago version 181 was added and updated by 1.82
> but the dates are backwards on the versions.  Screwy eh?

That is not what I see when I look at cvsweb or use "cvs log".

> There was a commit to the mfs_vfsops.c file done on Jun 17, that may have
> been kinda screwy, or maybe it's just the cvs system.

That commit was on the RELENG_4 branch (-stable), where the file is
still alive.  Nothing screwy there.

> version 1.81 is marked as occuring on Jun 17, 2001 and version 1.82
> occurred at Apr 15 2000.

I don't know where you saw that.  CVSWeb shows a date of Dec 19,
1999 for revision 1.81 and Apr 15, 2000 for revision 1.82.  That
agrees with what is recorded in the actual RCS file.

> I'm not sure if cvsup uses the date or the version when it's supping
> files,

If you are asking for the -stable branch with "tag=RELENG_4" then
CVSup uses the version.

> Checking my srcs locally it appears that indeed my cvsup pulled
> version 1.81.2.1 dated 2001/06/17 which is wrong and does not have
> the add in version 1.82.

That is exactly what CVSup should have done.  Revision 1.82 is not
a part of -stable; it is in -current only. -stable was branched at
revision 1.81, before revision 1.82 was created.  For -stable, the
revision after 1.81 is 1.81.2.1.  Next will come 1.81.2.2, etc.

> I wonder how many other things are screwy in the cvs repository?

I don't see anything screwy there. :-)

John