Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:49:57 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "One Of Them" <skemokai@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using Cable Modem connection FreeBSD

> From: "One Of Them" <skemokai@home.com>
> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:03:46 -0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I have just got a modem cable connection and I want to run FreeBSD on =
> it. I currently have it on win98 and I want to move it soon I find a way =
> how to configure. I only have IP at the moment but I can order for more =
> if needed. I to connect 3 PCs in the house. They are currently connected =
> via hub.
>
> I seached the handbook a little bit but maybe somebody who has already =
> done it maybe able to show where to go to get the correct info or just =
> walk me thru the steps.

The basics are trivial, but cable modems throw in some unpleasant
curves from time to time as they tend to assume Windows behavior.

I suggest that you look at:
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/cable.html

It goes over both the basics and the special requirements of many
cable systems.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)