Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:58:59 +0200
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 06/07/12 11:17, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 07.06.12 02:09, Erich wrote:
>>> Those "minor" issues are, having the recent mess in front of my eyes, a
>>> simple "negative exaggeration". What is that "price worth", if the
>>> system is faulting and rendered useless or partially useless?
>>>
>> just do what was recommended in this thread: wait.

... well, I will pass this to those who fund my research. Wait. Yes ...
the right answer.

>> Tell this ones to a commercial client. They will use words on you for
>> which use you get a life ban on this list.

Not even commercial clients ... I have the impression that the people
who are using FreeBSD MUST be professionals in any way - or just
adventurers. This impression can be emphazized by picking up some of the
comments made here.

> If you are not qualified enough to handle issues like this, you would be
> better to avoid offering your "integration services" to anyone. Or, of
> you dare to -- you fully deserve those people yelling at you, or worse..
>
> Those who use FreeBSD to offer integration services and are qualified do
> not whine, neither they wait. Those people do what the promised to do:
> provide the customer with the requested solution.

... in some cases this needs the deep knowledge of all ports/software
provided and used and this is simply impossible, or at least null
convergent probability.

In some cases I see a dicrepancy between what is reality and what is
predicated. If it comes to the evidence, that something has been
mismanaged, then there is always this allmighty excuse: FreeBSD is a
volunteer system developed by volunteers blabla. I'm also a volunteer
using FreeBSD! And I spend a lot of time trying to help.

But at some points this gets very frustrating! Totally corrupted ports
(not FreeBSD itself!), and so a corrupted system, no fallback mechanism
although the problem is there for decades by now (as stated in this thread).
In my case, just for instance, we/I use FreeBSD as server AND client to
avoid loads of work having to many different OSes. We and it is definit
use OpenLDAP as the users's housekeeping backend.
Thunderbird is NOT working with OpenLDAP (which is, I asume, an
important piece of a modern multiuser environment and part of "the power
to serve"). I personally live with this problem now for almost a year,
since I can circumvent the crash of Thunderbird by starting Firefox
prior to Thunderbrd and start Thunderbird while Firefox is starting.
This behaviour is very strange and it is obviously well known to those
who use a similar environment.
And this problem occurs on EVERY new setup I made using LDAP as the
backend.

There is a open PR, there are some hints (not working for me), there are
some notes in the mailing list.

Obviously, FreeBSd is rarely used in such an environment or is stuck
with ancient NIS/YP setups, I do not know.

I only can ask the list herein - since the "professionals" in our
computer center of the campus are in most cases in Linux.

Well, to come back to the subject:  Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

I guess there are plenty of reasons as well as there are plenty of
reasons of the opposit. But one very frustrating scaring thing is the
arrogancy of several people here - leveling out the great help of those
who wish to help.

oh