Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 11:35:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> Nobody has suggested either of those things. I have suggested that they should
> be able to contain hotlinks to the man pages. If the server isn't there, you
> can't follow those links, but you can still run "man". It'd be nice to have
> a form-fill-out interface to send-pr as well, but you can still run "send-pr".

You should not have to run a httpd server in order to read the online
docs. Setting up httpd, while not that difficult, is above the abilites of
a total newbie. Running 'help' is not. If help happens to be a link to a
http viewer then a really nice online help system is possible, hotlinks to
man-pages are fine but they don't have to be network URL's they can be
links to local files. You don't need a server to do this.

Forms is way out of context. We're talking about the documenation project
here and not other services.

A forms interface to send-pr is in the works. Not any time soon since I'm
going to be busy on 2.1 insstallation for the foreseeable future but it
is planned. That work will be incorporated into www.freebsd.org though and
not on the local site.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/