Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 05:26:48 -0800
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        User Raymond <raymond@one.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a Brooktree grabber as a security device

I am doing exactly this right now.   At this point I am saving
640x480 images as JPEGs once a minute and then converting these
into MPEG files. Unfortunately this rate is just too slow to pick
up wanted action.  If I did sample faster, say once a second, I
would be needing almost 3GB a day in images or about 5GB for MPEG
video files.  It also makes it harder to find the frames I want.

Ideally you want software that does motion detection (such as edge,
etc.) that will only save frames that have significant changes in
them at a quick rates in order to capture as much as possible.  I
am currently experimenting with a number of methods and packages
to do this.  I will get back to folks with the end result.

Tim

--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247