Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:04:12 -0800
From:      Randy Primeaux <randy@Cloudfactory.ORG>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernelconfig-config.html: ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA

The following entries are not clear to me, i.e. risk vs. benefit.
I have UDMA33/66/100 devices, and am considering enabling
ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA on a pci bus.
While I could send this query to -questions, I'd like the response to
be reflected in the Handbook.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html

   options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

This makes the controller number static (like the old driver) or else the device numbers are dynamically allocated.

    #options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

This enables DMA on the ATAPI device. Since many ATAPI devices claim to support DMA, but it does not actually work, this is turned off by default.

--
Randy Primeaux
randy@cloudfactory.org