Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2013 21:28:55 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Michael_Gr=FCnewald?= <michael.grunewald@laposte.net>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OCaml 4?

On 11/6/2013 21:02, Michael Grünewald wrote:

> It seems dports has ocaml 4.00.1 while I prepared a 4.01.0, if you test
> it, your feddback would be welcome!

Surely dports could be updated to ocaml 4.01.0 as easily as changing the
PORTVERSION and regenerating the distinfo file?

> Thank you for pointing out that dports can be used as a basis for
> FreeBSD ports, maybe I will get the habit to check that out before
> starting to work on a new port.

We try to avoid maintaining different versions because they are a
maintenance nightmare.  Ocaml is a rare port and we very much want
FreeBSD to base an update on the dport so we can sync with FreeBSD again
(it's not just ocaml, but others like ocamlimages, etc).

Another is Libreoffice.  Every time there is an extremely minor update
to it, I have to regenerate a makefile diff again.

As such, the vast majority of dports identical or nearly so to their
ports counterparts.  At most they contain extra patches or a couple of
extra switches often contained in Makefile.DragonFly.

Sometimes we have fixes that FreeBSD could use.  Now that I have a
commit bit, I try to push these directly into FreeBSD port but there's a
lot left over from before that was the case.

John