Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:44:21 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 'dynamic' options questions

Stijn Hoop wrote:
| On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 01:08:53PM -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
|
|>On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:53:01 +0100, Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> wrote:
|>
|>>In my package build jail this backfires though. And in this case there
|>>isn't even an option to turn the support on. And I think dosirak or
|>>pointyhat (which is it these days?) will never build support for
|>>evolution into gaim, right?
|>
|>The best solution is to create a slave port, gaim-evolution or
|>gaim-whatever.
|

| OK, possibly, but then you end up with as many slave ports as there
| are 'useful' options ^ 2. Which I think will be a lot.
|

|>>So, I guess what I'm asking is:
|>>
|>>- what's the 'correct' way of doing auto-dependencies
|>
|>This is correct way. If you want it to be add in the package, then just
|>add defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING) like this:
|>
|>.if ${HAVE_GNOME:Mevolutiondataserver}!="" || defined(PACKAGE_BUILDING)
|

| Well I'm not the maintainer of the port, which is why I'm asking :)
|
| I just wanted to build a set of GNOME 2.8 packages that I can use to
install a
| new desktop. And I wanted to see all functionality; I don't care if it
takes a
| lot of diskspace (because I have enough).
|
| Now I don't consider myself as typical but right now there is no way of
| getting evolution support in net/gaim without first installing
| evolutiondataserver.

That's absolutely not true.  You can define WITH_GNOME=yes in
/etc/make.conf, or WITH_GNOME=evolutiondataserver in /etc/make.conf, and
gaim will automatically include e-d-s support.

| And maybe, if net/gaim gets installed via x11/gnome2 or some other
metaport
| this is always the case. But the point is that on e.g. a package build
jail
| this won't be necessarily. And I can't force the port to turn it on.

You can based on what I said above.  I thought I had enabled e-d-s
support by default when package building, but apparently I only did that
for gnomepanel.

Joe

- --
Joe Marcus Clarke