Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:29:44 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   make -jx fails

Hi,

I tried multiple times to build world, kernel or ports using
"make -j2" or "make -j4". In most cases the results were useless,
because make seems to run sequential steps parallel.

A "make -j2 install clean" in a port directory sometimes makes
install and clean simultanous. This is the best way to reproduce
it - buildworld takes to long on this system.

The problem I have a Dual P90 - System (256 MB RAM) for testing
some web applications, and in the next half year I will not get a
faster machine. If I could use "-j2" or "-j4", many things will
build faster, f.e. gnome - which took about 4 days!!!

Thanks in advance
Jens