Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:53:32 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Patrick Morren <patrick.morren@planetinternet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd rel. 3.0 or 2.2.8.

On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Patrick Morren wrote:

> I want to start with FREEBSD. But in the shop I can buy rel. 3.0 or 2.2.8.

freebsd v2.2.8-release is teh one to run with .. thier are a lot of things in
v3-anyting that will take time to sort out. also v3.1-release is slated for
release in a few weeks. but, still i don't think all the 'beginers' issues
have been settled yet.

> Witch release do I have to buy.

freebsd v2.2.8-release would be a wise investment. after you get 2.2.8
installed and working ofr a while, gotten familiar with it -- then, upgrade
over the network or get a newer cdrom distribution and go from thier.

also i would recomend getting 'the complete freebsd ed2' by greg lehey. it is
a good book for what it is, sort of a how to get started with lots od startup
how to go about information and after that cmes the were to look for more
'advanced' information.

i can recommend it as an easy read, i have some problems with reading and
understaning (cognitive imperament, its called) and this book more than any
other has helpen come to terms with freebsd.

> Is it possible to run some programs designed for win 3.11 or win95 under
> FREEBSD.

it depends on what you want to do .. thier are several routes you could take.
the best and most stable is to get a sun microsystems WABI licence, caldera
openlinux currently sells this for about $USD95 .. it does all the ms win
v3.11 386 mode and enhanced mode ms win apps. thier is a ms win emulator
called bochs, it is in the ports tree.

bochs is interesting in that it requires you use you own ms win v3.11 or ms
win95 (ms win98, aswell. i think) you use it just like dr hedleys pcemu and
the old "sco unix dosmerge". i havent run it as yet i have to find my old ms
win 3.1 diskettes. it should provide a very stable platform for ms win v3.11
applications .. we as stable as ms win v3.11 and you can't ask of better then
that, i suppose. also the bochs emulation is free for at home (m=noncommercial
usage) and $USD25 per host in a profit making envoronment. thier is als0 a ms
dos emulation and it is availabe for many (real) unicies on varipus hardware
platforms and linux as well.

thier is a thing called linux wine .. from what i have seen of this, well it
has several years to go before it even might be usable .. it not very good,
even if it is free .. it runs some win apps but isn't very reliable or stable.

ps, the sun WABI is a linux port of teh original sun sparc WABI, i've heard
some reliable reports that the caldera linux WABI works much better in freebsd
than it does in any linux (even teh caldera one).

anyway, this is my 5 cents worth .. take care

regards

jonathan