Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 13:49:43 -1000
From:      "Peter Stubbs" <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What ever happened to... ? / new money spinner

On 19 Dec 95 at 21:50, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>  I think you may have missed Richard's point..
>
>  WC currently pays Jordan's salary (however much that is), to
> which Jordan is dedicated to developing/maintaining FreeBSD...WC
> currently pays for the T1 that freebsd.org is resting at the other
> end of...WC pays for the hardware that is used by freebsd.org...
>
>  ...so, so far as I can see it, WC is turning around a larger
> chunk then 5% of the profits back into the project...I'm curious as
> to how many ppl buy copies of the CDrom vs. ftp'ng it in from the
> server... does WC break even, or are they currently losing money on
> the project?

Sorry, I shouldn't have quoted Richards message to start with. I did
get his point, and think WC are being great. I even give preferance
to WC's other cd's because of their support for FreeBSD. I was
really jumping in on an earlier topic in the "What ever happened
to..." thread where people where tossing about ideas on how to get
some new hardware.

I wanted to think of a way to give WC a product to sell, with a
minimum of risk & overhead on their part. Perhaps 5% of the
subscription profit would be a fairer idea. Then they would know
before a printing how many was the minimum they would sell, and
exactly how much was to go to the hardware / development fund.

I would hope that most of the regular FreeBSD community would
subscribe, just to see something more come into the project.

Cheers,
Peter

Peter Stubbs, St Aidan's AGS. ph +61-07-3379-9911, fax +61-07-3379-9432