Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:43:53 -0400
From:      Jim Pingle <lists@pingle.org>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: long pause in startup

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Any ideas on this one?  This machine (one of those ancient VALinux 2U
> boxes, Intel L440GX+ board, dual PIII) hangs for a very long time
> between the second processor launching and geom_mirror kicking in.  It
> does always boot, but the hang is more than a minute - just enough to
> make one nervous when rebooting remotely...
>
> Is this just the mirror taking a really long time to initialize, or
> something more sinister?
[snip]
> Any info is appreciated, this is just something I wanted to check out
> before bringing this into production (secondary ns, mx w/pfspamd).

I've got a bunch of these and they all do it. It seems to be something with
the floppy controller. During the hang it's accessing the floppy drive
(light is on) and if the floppy is disabled, there is no hang. IIRC if you
have a floppy in the drive it also does not hang.

That's the short version, anyhow. It's been discussed on the list before so
you might check the archives for a better/more complete answer.

Jim