Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:21:34 GMT
From:      Christophe Cap <christophe.cap@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/122008: Fdisk fails. Cannot install 7.0 Release on P5VD2-MX with Maxtor PATA

>Number:         122008
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Fdisk fails. Cannot install 7.0 Release on P5VD2-MX with Maxtor PATA
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I previously reported issue i386/121115, concerning my SATA drives & FBSD 6.3
Yesterday I send those drives back to Seagate under waranty.

To get things going I bought me a PATA drive (no longer trusting SATA).

Unfortunately, when I 'm 'slicing' my disk using sysinstall I get an error like 'unable to write filesystem to disk /dev/ad.'
When I switch to to TTY1 ther are READ_DMA , WRITE_DMA and CRC errors allover the place.

I tried it several times, used other cables, switched to other ide ports, all the same.

Since I needed this machine I also tried FreeBSD 6.1, which installed fine on this macine, however during the first boot it also spawned allot of DMA errors, resulting in a kernel crash close to the end of the boot process.

Since I needed this machine urgently to recover some data I used a Ubuntu CD to boot. Strangely enough with Ubuntu 6.06 I didn't get any errors and I could acces the disks fine.

I'm still a FBSD adept and believer, I used it since 4.7, this is actually the first time it -really- lets me down.
I hope the SATA/PATA bugs get fixed soon because this is a real showstopper.

>How-To-Repeat:
- Get official 7.0-RELEASE ISO's
- boot from cd & start install
- use standard install method
- run fdisk & configure slices&filesystems
- commit changes
- get an error writing to filesystem
- switch to tty1 and you'll see allot of DMA + CRC errors !
>Fix:
- No known fix.
- I used a Ubuntu to boot, which is hard to admit for a FBSD adebt like me. :-/