Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:38:59 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp (iij) doesn't recognize carrier loss anymore

> I upgraded from 2.2.5 to -current on Jan 17th.
>
> User mode PPP no longer recognizes when my ISP has diconnected due
> to a timeout.  My guess is that CD is not propogating up to ppp.
>
> Basically, I find my system sitting with tun0 up, and the IPs
> set for remote and local and the routing up.  However, the
> modem is offline and CD is down due to the ISP handing up.
>
> PPP is just sitting their figuring everything is up. I have to
> kill it and restart it to get online again.
>
> I have never used /etc/rc.serial before, however, I changed it
> to set port 1 to modem which did not help.
>
> I'm also guessing that I could turn on LQR, however, I have
> losing a connection just because things are going slow.
>
> What then has happened.  Is there something somewhere I need
> to config?

Check out the FAQ on http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html.  I
haven't heard of any other problems with the current ppp in that
area (but there *were* such problems in 2.2.5).

Can you supply some diagnostics (some pointers on this are given
in the FAQ). The `debug' level will tell you the online/offline
status (CD detection) of ppp.  Once it goes offline, ppp should
terminate.

Also, how are you starting ppp ?

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;