Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:06:13 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster -a on a live server

--------------enigDE031CFCE91F3D994C97967D

Tom Worster wrote:
> though all i really need is mysql/apache/php i have about 100 ports
> installed and portmaster -a takes a long time to complete (hour or two)=
=2E
>=20
> so i'm wondering if i ought to be concerned about new binaries being
> installed over the old ones on the disk while the old images are loaded=
 and
> running as daemons.
>=20
> instead of doing portmaster -a, is there any advantage to:
>=20
> portmaster -a -x mysql\-server -x apache
> portmaster mysql\-server apache
> reboot=20
>=20
> in order to minimize the time that the old servers are running while th=
e new
> images are on the disk?

Many ports will shut down a running instance of themselves when upgraded
like this specifically to avoid the sort of complications that can occur
when the running image does not match what is on disk.

mysql does, apache doesn't. =20

So upgrade mysql-server last thing before you reboot.  Although I know yo=
u're
not using portupgrade, this snippet from pkgtools.conf has been a blessin=
g in
minimizing outage lengths during updates on live servers:

  AFTERINSTALL =3D {
    '*' =3D> proc { |origin|
       cmd_start_rc(origin)
    },
  }

Of couse, the best course of action is to plan sufficient downtime that y=
ou
can do the upgrades comfortably plus recover from any number of ways thin=
gs
might go wrong, but sometimes that simply isn't possible.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3