Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:55:00 +0000
From:      Allen <slackwarewolf@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My wish list for 6.1

On 12/17/2005 01:34:09 AM, Avleen Vig wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 10:40:22AM -0500, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > > 2.  SMP kernels for install.  Right now we only install a UP
> kernel, for
> > > performance reasons.  We should be able to package both a UP and
> SMP
> > > kernel into the release bits, and have sysinstall install both.
> It
> > > should also select the correct one for the target system and make
> that
> > > the default on boot.
> >
> > If people are concerned about performance, I benchmarked a 6-beta
> > kernel SMP versus UP on a socket 939 Opteron.

Must be great having boxes like that ;) You know what I'd like to see =20
in the next Free BSD? A way to update security fixes without having to =20
play with any source, or having to touch make world. I know the speed =20
and so on makes some people like this, but I personally try getting =20
people who use Windows to switch to another OS or at least show them =20
something else exists, and it's hard to make someone want to use Free =20
BSD when installing patches can be such a timely manner.

I know about the port tool, but what I'd love to have is a tool you =20
could run from the CLI or the GUI that would check for updates, and =20
then ask which ones to install, similar to Swaret on Slackware. This =20
way people can do the usual updates if they want, and people like me =20
can show people BSD and how great it is.