Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:43:45 -0400
From:      Dave Hoppe <datadave@total.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FAT32 ??

--------------65161314D5C3B331BC27CAC2

--------------E4A3404B9A7CA5C2604FF97D

To whom exactly it may concern ? :>
                                         It is with great appreciation &
'thankfulness, that I address this -question- to you, with hopes, that
you may 'enlighten me, with a couple of rather simple answers to a
couple of rather ' simple ' questions !?.....although as it may be,
perhaps I have underestimated, the actual Complex varibles, which
regards to the fact, that it isn't a very simple process if at all even
possible . I am a complete ' Clutz ' when it comes to these sorts of
situations & would rather ' ask for assitance ' from the -experts like
yourself ?!
            I have a diskette with FAT32 on it ,ready to install. This
being my first problem. I have a Pentium 133 16EDO RAM, utilizing FAT
16??, not FAT32. I WANT to install FAT32, but ofcourse I do not have any
knowledge on wether or not ,one can just go into DOS & install from
there or wehter it is even a safe situation to bother installing FAT32 ?

I gather, that I could recover more actual fdisk space ,badly needed. I
only have a 1.2 GiG
sized Hard-Drive . I also understand that it is simply better on one's
system to operate utilizing FAT32 ??  There appears to be alot of space
-wastage- using my present FAT16.
        If it is not too much trouble for you to give me some sort of
direction on this, I'd really appreciate it, because there seems to be
alot of different ' schools of thought on this FAT32 situation, & I do
not understand why it is such a big deal ?  I only see installing FAT32
as a definate +plus ?!...but what if any -risks are involved here. Is it
neccessary (hopefully not ) to install FAT32 on a newly -formatted
Hard-Drive ??  Why could'nt I just go into DOS & install the FAT32 from
there ?   I am rather confused about it . My gain as I see it, is the
recovery of additional -space -on my small Hard-Drive .  I also
understand that it is -apparently better on ones system because the
FAT32 reduces the actual -size- of the clusters ??   and oh yes, I
recently installed the W95OSR2 platform, but as I say, I still only have
the 16(fat?) configuration .  So is your -oppinion, that I would benefit
from increasing my existing system to accomodate a FAT32 setup ?
            Thanx very much for any amount of time which U may invest
with regards to my questions here ! Anything I can do inorder to
recipricate your kind endeavours would be much appreciated by me .
Please let me know if I can therefore do something in exchange for your
services in the form of advice here ?!
                   Sincerely yours ,
                                            Dave Hoppe
(datadave@total.net)  Montreal, Canada
.

--------------E4A3404B9A7CA5C2604FF97D

<HTML>
To whom exactly it may concern ? :>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
It is with great appreciation &amp; 'thankfulness, that I address this
-question- to you, with hopes, that you may 'enlighten me, with a couple
of rather simple answers to a couple of rather ' simple ' questions !?.....although
as it may be, perhaps I have underestimated, the actual Complex varibles,
which regards to the fact, that it isn't a very simple process if at all
even possible . I am a complete ' Clutz ' when it comes to these sorts
of situations &amp; would rather ' ask for assitance ' from the -experts
like yourself ?!
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
I have a diskette with FAT32 on it ,ready to install. This being my first
problem. I have a Pentium 133 16EDO RAM, utilizing FAT 16??, not FAT32.
I WANT to install FAT32, but ofcourse I do not have any knowledge on wether
or not ,one can just go into DOS &amp; install from there or wehter it
is even a safe situation to bother installing FAT32 ?
<BR>I gather, that I could recover more actual fdisk space ,badly needed.
I only have a 1.2 GiG
<BR>sized Hard-Drive . I also understand that it is simply better on one's
system to operate utilizing FAT32 ??&nbsp; There appears to be alot of
space -wastage- using my present FAT16.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; If it is not too much trouble
for you to give me some sort of direction on this, I'd really appreciate
it, because there seems to be alot of different ' schools of thought on
this FAT32 situation, &amp; I do not understand why it is such a big deal
?&nbsp; I only see installing FAT32 as a definate +plus ?!...but what if
any -risks are involved here. Is it neccessary (hopefully not ) to install
FAT32 on a newly -formatted Hard-Drive ??&nbsp; Why could'nt I just go
into DOS &amp; install the FAT32 from there ?&nbsp;&nbsp; I am rather confused
about it . My gain as I see it, is the recovery of additional -space -on
my small Hard-Drive .&nbsp; I also understand that it is -apparently better
on ones system because the FAT32 reduces the actual -size- of the clusters
??&nbsp;&nbsp; and oh yes, I recently installed the W95OSR2 platform, but
as I say, I still only have the 16(fat?) configuration .&nbsp; So is your
-oppinion, that I would benefit from increasing my existing system to accomodate
a FAT32 setup ?
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Thanx very much for any amount of time which U may invest with regards
to my questions here ! Anything I can do inorder to recipricate your kind
endeavours would be much appreciated by me . Please let me know if I can
therefore do something in exchange for your services in the form of advice
here ?!
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Sincerely yours ,
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dave Hoppe (datadave@total.net)&nbsp; Montreal, Canada
<HR WIDTH="100%">.</HTML>

--------------E4A3404B9A7CA5C2604FF97D--

--------------65161314D5C3B331BC27CAC2

begin:          vcard
fn:             Dave Hoppe
n:              Hoppe;Dave
org:            DataMuse Technologies
adr:            2219 PRUD'HOMME #6;;;MONTREAL;;H4A-3H3;CANADA
email;internet: datadave@total.net
title:          Programmer / Analyst / Cybersmith
tel;home:       514-369-0170
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1