Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:41:39 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

Mark Murray wrote:
> > That's why randomness tests + mathematician to interpretate their results
> > are needed to compare what we have now in random(3) with RC4. Easy and
> > understandable code not always mean better results. We can't switch
> > algorithms blindly, i.e. when their comparative quality remains unknown.
>
> Actually, RC4 is well understood (and trusted). LCRNG's are considered
> less good in comparison with cryptographic techniques. There is too much
> to go wrong in them (as you have just discovered!) :-)

Donald Knuth seemed to like them well enough to publish the
algorithm, as part of his discussion on randomness.  He *didn't*
publish RC4, in that same discussion.

Cryptographic uses are a small percentage of the real-world use
for PRNG's.  If you are worried about cryptographic strength,
then you shouldn't be using a libc function.

-- Terry