Date:      Sat, 04 Jun 2011 10:52:46 +0300
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange system lockups - kernel saying disk error

Many thanks for the response!

On 06/04/2011 02:00 AM, perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Kaya Saman<kayasaman@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I have an ancient pre-HT PIV machine with<500MB RAM.
>> Everything was running fine until round about 2 days
>> ago when the system started locking up on me?
>>
>> ... is there anyway to fix the kernel error quickly?
>>
> Did you apply any updates shortly before it started to fail?

No updates! I did however, install unrar through ports.

> If not, this is likely to be a hardware problem.  I'd suggest
> checking the power supply and the fans, running memtest86, and
> taking a close look at the electrolytic filter capacitors on
> the system board -- the last because it sounds as if this system
> may be about the right age to have been built with some bad ones.
> (If any of the capacitors are bulging, either those caps, or the
> entire board, need to be replaced.)  Power and heat problems can
> cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

I guess, I mean I did mention that the system was old and also I've been
running in 24/7 online for the past year and half as this box got passed
down to me by a family member. It has a Gigabyte system board. Not sure
about the capacitors; I'll check. I remember on other boards that went
on me in the past with capacitor issues, a bunch of orange stuff starts
leaking out of them when they blow up.

Also the chassis doesn't have any cooling fans either since it was
bought extremely cheaply by the family member but not sure that's the
culprit neither power problems as the system has run in high outside
ambient temps in the past with no A/C in the room and also was working
fine on the PSU installed with the 4 disks.

I guess it's hardware related somehow as something's blown up, either
the PSU, system board or so......

As I explained in the beginning if there's no clear way to fix the
problem easily then I'll wait a bit. - I have a 16 disk Promise DAS on
the way and will build a server using a Chenbro industrial rack chassis
and Supermicro AMD based 8-12 core system board. These systems will fit
better in the 2 racks I have in my living room. This should be a bit
more stable and also give me higher capacity too!

Regards,

Kaya