Date:      30 Jul 2002 14:31:53 +0300
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Read-only access to repository w/ cvsweb 2.0.5?

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 12:41, Terry Kennedy wrote:

>   I'm trying to upgrade from the original cvsweb 1.0 to 2.0.5, but I'm ha=
ving
> a silly problem when trying to view a revision or use the "download" opti=
on -
> I get "Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs checkout: Sorry, you don=
't
> have read/write access to the history file cvs [checkout aborted]:
> /foo/CVS/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied".

[snip]

Terry, this looks like a configuration problem to me.  FreeBSD-CVSweb
defaults to using the "-l" option of cvs(1), which should skip any
logging to the history file, so your cvsweb user wouldn't need even read
access to CVSROOT/history.  Please verify that you have set up your
cvsweb.cgi to use the new cvsweb.conf (with your possible
customizations) that comes with FreeBSD-CVSweb.  See @cvs_options in
cvsweb.conf.

>   The platform is BSD/OS 4.3, cvsweb is running as www.www, and the CVS
> repository is owned by another user, but is all at least 755/644 for file=
> and directories. I really don't want to make the CVS repository writable
> by the cvsweb user.

Can you checkout from a shell as the www user using the -l option, ie:

  cvs -l checkout some/file

>   I'm oviously missing something obvious, but I've been banging my head o=
> this for hours and haven't gotten anywhere, so I'm resorting to asking th=
> list.

Another thing you could check is if your platform's cvs(1) command has
the "-R" option for read-only repository access.  If it does, please try
adding that manually to @cvs_options in cvsweb.conf and send me the
output of "uname" on your machine so I can make it default on it.

Of course, as Yann said, you can make the CVSROOT/history file writable
by the cvsweb user, but that shouldn't be necessary unless you *want* to
log checkouts etc there.

Yet another option (untested, not recommended _at_all_) could be to hack
cvsweb.cgi to use the co(1) command of rcs, instead of "cvs co" on
checkouts.

HTH,
--=20
\/ille Skytt=E4