Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 09:18:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rob Ballantyne <ballanty@sfu.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   two questions (ISA speed & raid like support)

  Hello,

  I have two rather orthogonal questions about FreeBSD that I hope this
is the proper forum for.

  1.  I've build trivial ISA card with exactly one 8-bit port (and 8
      LEDs attached to display the contents) that I can read and
      write at will.  I've done some simple minded thruput tests:
      read a megabyte, one byte at a time from the register, write
      a megabyte, one byte at a time as well.  My results indicate
      that the trasfer rate I get is about 25-35 K bytes per second.
      What I want to know is if this would be normal in this case.
      I attempted to use ISA signal variously known as /NOWS and
      /0WS but I discovered a logic problem with my design so the
      current version is NOT using the ISA fast transfer mode.

  2.  A friend of mine an myself are thinking about setting up a
      8000 user production system (we expect only a small proportion to
      use the system at once, but must maintain accounts for them all).
      To increase reliablity of this production level server we would
      like to use disk mirroring or perhaps RAID with some parity scheme.
      I don't recall anything like this being mentioned on the Web Site
      so I'm wondering if anyone is working on it or has worked on it?

  Many Thanks,

Rob

| Rob Ballantyne                         |                               |
| email: ballanty@sfu.ca                 |             _____             |
| System Consultant                      |               |               |
| Operations and Technical Support       |    -----------O-----------    |
| Simon Fraser University                |                               |
| Burnaby, BC, CANADA    V5A 1S6         |                               |