Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 10:43:29 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        Lars Jonas Olsson <ljo@mcs.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symbios 53C876 (differential) and 20 GB DLT tape drive

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Lars Jonas Olsson wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying a DLT subsystem from CSC. Its a 10/20 GB DLT
> drive in external enclosure, cable, terminator, and controller for
> $1495.
>
> The controller is based on Symbios 53C876. Is this likely to work
> with FreeBSD? Is the programming any different or is it only
> electrically different (differential vs single ended)?
>
> What about 10/20 GB DLT drives, can modenr 20/40 GB drives read the
> older tapes? Any other recommended drives? I already have a 2/4 GB DAT
> drive and am looking for something bigger and more reliable.

AFAIK (and you can probably check quentum's or DEC's web site for details)
all DLT drives can read from and write to all lower-capacity DLT tapes.
The only model I'm not sure about is the 35GB/70GB. I guess it probably
reads/writes 10 and 20 GB tapes, but it's worth checking if it's important
to you.

> Jonas

Nadav