Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 08:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To:        ata@dt.wdc.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, hua@ohio.chromatic.com
Subject:   Is it possible to have > 2 IDE controllers?

I am trying to get more than 2 IDE controllers working
on a PC running FreeBSD.  There are obviously two sides
to this question:

1.  Can FreeBSD do it?

2.  Can the hardware support it?

I am not concerned about the system BIOS recognizing
the 3rd controller on boot up, although I suspect that
would be nice.

Does anyone on this mailing list know the answer to
question #2 above?

I am specifically talking about having more than two
master controllers (each with up to the standard two
drives).  I am NOT talking about having more than two
drives on a single cable (say, for instance, master +
2 slaves).

Ern