Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:56:52 -0600
From:      "Robert D. Hughes" <rob@robhughes.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Monitord broken by 4.5-pre?

I started using monitord several months ago when I had a problem with =
snort coring on this box. Since upgrading to 4.5-pre, monitord cores at =
startup. I can then start it manually with the script, but it doesn't =
restart monitored processes that die. The following is the output of a =
back-trace on the core:

GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain =
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for =
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd"...(no debugging =
symbols found)...
Core was generated by `monitord'.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.4...(no debugging symbols =
found)...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1...(no debugging symbols =
found)...done.
#0  0x8049802 in free ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8049802 in free ()
#1  0x280fd9e0 in .curbrk () from /usr/lib/libc.so.4
#2  0x80493fe in free ()
#3  0x8048d70 in free ()
#4  0x8048b95 in free ()

Not being a programmer, this means nothing to me. I've tried doing a =
make deinstall && make reinstall thinking maybe something needed to be =
linked against the newer libs, but no luck. Ports are current as of a =
week or so ago. Also, installing portupgrade didn't help.

Thanks,
Rob

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre =
minds." -- Albert Einstein=20