Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:53:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, om-lists-bsd@omx.ch
Subject:   Re: fsck_ufs: cannot alloc 94208 bytes for inoinfo

     fsck's memory usage is directly related to the number of inodes and
     the number of directories in the filesystem.  Directories are
     particularly memory intensive.

     I've found on my backup system that a UFS1 filesystem with 40 million
     inodes is about the limit that can be fsck'd (at least with a 32 bit
     architecture).  My cron jobs keep my backup partition below that point.
     Even in a 64 bit environment you will be limited by swap and the sheer
     time it takes for fsck to run.  It takes well over 8 hours for my
     backup system to fsck.

     You can also reduce fsck time by reducing the number of cylinder
     groups on the disk.  I usually max them out (-c 999 and newfs then
     sets it to the maximum, usually in the 50-80 range).  This will
     improve performance but not reduce the memory required.

						-Matt