Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        Mike Witte <mike@galileo.rhein.de>
Cc:        hardware <hardware@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Magneto-optical disks

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Mike Witte wrote:

> I keep getting similar messages with my Sony MOD:
>
>   (ncr0:4:0): "SONY SMO-C501-00E 3.02" type 0 removable SCSI 1
>   sd2(ncr0:4:0): Direct-Access
>   sd2(ncr0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>   sd2 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry

This error shouldn't be a problem, since it's identical to the one I get.

>   sd2(ncr0:4:0): NOT READY asc:a,0 Error log overflow
>   sd2: could not get size
>   0MB (0 512 byte sectors)
>
> Since it cannot get the number of blocks (block size is wrong, too. should
> be 1024 bytes), I cannot use the drive at all. (or does someone know
> better?). Anything I could do to use the drive?

Beats me.  This is just a shot in the dark, but is it possible that the
parameters to newfs can be used to override the detected size?

Oh, here's a thought...  Is there a disk in the drive when you get that
error?  If not, try booting with a disk in there.

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503