Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:49:22 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   mySQL 3.22.21 + 'BSD 2.2.7-STABLE - what kind of throughput can I  expect?

FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE built Thu Nov 19 1998
DELL poweredge 2200
PII 266/64MB RAM
Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_perl/1.19 mod_ssl/2.2.8
OpenSSL/0.9.2b PHP/3.0.11
mySQL 3.22.21
On a shared 2MB/s connection to the 'Net, behind a firewall.

I suppose a RAM upgrade to at least 128MB RAM would b
sensible (at present top tells me my apache processes have a
footprint of SIZE=~2104K, RES=~4000K, mysqld has
SIZE=11172K, RES=988K).

This is for a shopping cart type application, developed
in-house and uses perl to drive the database/cart. The PHP3
stuff is for the Phorum forum software.

I already kow this box is more than adequate for our current
web serving needs.

Initially I want to run mySQL on this same box that is doing
the web serving and https, but I am aware that if things get
heavy in terms of throughput I should consider breaking the
DB out onto a separate box.

Presumably there is a lot of tuning I can do to apache
itself to improve efficiency.

So my questions are:

 o WRT the database side, where can I go to get some data on
what kind of performance I can expect for the same class of
system?
 o What are good indicators to watch for that might help me
deduce that the machine is getting a good hammering?
 o Are there any database benchmarking suites out there that
I could try on a similar system?

Thanks,
Adam.