Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:15:00 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   slightly OT - journal or project tracking app query

Hey all.  I have a slightly OT question here.

Now, I'm not trying to start a holy war, and you all know as well as I
do that's exactly what happens when editor/wm/OS questions of this
type arise, but I'd really be interested in what the *BSD community
uses in this case.

As many of you know, it's very easy to get a complex system set up and
then promptly forget how you did it.  Many people solve this problem
by an unorthodox method known as "Documentation".  Many of the people
I've come behind have been woefully unfamiliar with this practice, and
I'm the one left with the shovel.

Another application of this obscure practice is tracking the progress
of a project.  Particularly the analysis of an elusive performance or
stability problem.  I've seen what avoiding such tracking can do -
different people will rediscover the same bit of data again and again,
never realizing they already know about it.

Well, I've been looking for a decent journaling app, and can't find
anything in the ports flagged by the word "journal".

I don't need a big fancy project application, but something that can
be easily paged or collated by day or project would be fantastic.  In
a perfect world, said app would work with an external editor, or use
Vim-ish key bindings.  Failing the existence of such an application,
I'll have to devise my own organizational method and just go with vim
until I can work something useful out.

What does the FreeBSD community use?

Thanks
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

drug, n:
  A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.