Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:37:26 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        Lachlan O'Dea <lodea@vet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KDE 1.1.2 - screensaver password problem

On 1999-09-28 11:19 +1000, Lachlan O'Dea <lodea@vet.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:24:51AM +0000, Tim Liddelow wrote:
> I don't know the cause, but I had the same problem. Another problem I
> ran into earlier is that kdm doesn't work (at least not when installed
> from the package). For this reason, I downloaded the kdebase source, ran
> configure with --enable-pam, and then rebuit kdm and kscreensaver. This
> did the trick. I've been trying to get around to submitting a PR on
> this.
>
> If you want to try this route, let me know and I'll send you my
> /etc/pam.conf which has the PAM entries you'll need.
>
> This was probably one for -ports...?

I'll look into this. The screen-savers are not installed SUID
because of changes in a script. I had fixed this in 1.1.1, but
the old fix did not apply and I forgot to test, whether a new
one was required (sorry). The screen-savers have to run as root,
since they can't check the users password, else. I do not like
to have so many additional SUID root programs ...

Regarding PAM support: I'm very interested in your /etc/pam.conf.

I'll not be able to work on this for the next two weeks, if I don't
find time to fix this tomorrow.

Regards, STefan