Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:03:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I4B support for US ISDN?

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> >    Oh? So what does european ISDN offer that U.S. ISDN doesn't? So far, my
> > TA allows me to use all of the features available from my Telco (and its a
> > long list, I assure you).
>
> It has nothing to do with Europe/US differences. Read the (european) ISDN
> standards to get an impression what is possible on the D- and/or B-channels,
> there is much more possible than telephony and/or IP/PPP. Fax and Video are
> just two examples. As i said, a TA allows you to do just those (ISDN-) things
> which are supported by the TA's firmware.

   Actually, I have already reviewed the standards. Hence the following:

   I beg to differ. The differences between our ISDN standards do not show
one to be "more capable/versatile/desirable" than the other. That's just
hardware/firmware implementation. The services themselves are the
equivilant. And currently, voice and IP make up the vast majority of
telecommuncations traffic world-wide, regardless of network type.

   The TA is just an interface. And not a very smart one at that. The
firmware is there to make sure everything is framed up the way its
supposed to. To a TA, its just data, and that's all. As long as its framed
correctly, it couldn't care less about content or purpose. It does exactly
what its told, as it is basically a transparent device.

   I'll agree that a router is a bit more limited, but it was intended for
a more narrowly focused market. And when you need a router, there isn't
much in the way of good substitute, though we in the UNIX world do have
something of an advantage--we almost always have more than one way to do
something.

   I will also agree that many Telco's do not implement everything, and
that many have incorrectly implemented many of the thing that we expect as
part of ISDN service. But there's not much we can do when we know more
about this subject than the service techs that are sent out to help us.
Just last week I was showing one of Bellsouth's feild tech how to use his
Protocol Analyzer, because Bellsouth was too lazy to train him properly.

R. Pelletier
Sys Admin, House Galiagante
We are a Micro$oft-free site