Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:17:25 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Things to tackle in the MIPS space?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 14:36, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2011, at 2:55 PM, Juli Mallett wrote:
>>> 2) Ehternet support. Also apparently broken, although I know little abo=
ut ENET and PHYs and such. We do =C2=A0have people here who do though.

>> Um, what happened to Ethernet support? =C2=A0It worked and worked quite
>> well the last time I touched it. =C2=A0Performance could be better, but
>> improving performance of the Ethernet driver would probably be a
>> pretty nasty way to learn about how Ethernet drivers work. =C2=A0(Namely
>> because it's easy to make the performance much better for a single
>> case and a lot worse for every other one.) =C2=A0You shouldn't need to k=
now
>> anything much about how the PHYs work, though.
>
> My experience has been mixed. =C2=A0Some boards work great w/o any tweaki=
ng at all. =C2=A0Others don't work at all. =C2=A0Sadly, I've sent back the =
board I have that worked and just have one that doesn't work.

For the sake of not sewing unnecessary confusion on the list, I just
want to add that this is almost certainly because of deficiencies in
board support code in the Simple Executive, which I'm happy to help
fix for boards that have patches against any version of the Cavium
SDK/Linux, than because the driver doesn't work, as was intimated
earlier.