Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 23:29:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7: ncr and de driver increasingly fickle

I can tell you that I have beat the death out of a pair of seagate hawks,
a (clunky but so far reliable) seagate decathalon, and one of those
infamous Micra^Hopolis 3243 4GB screamin' lemons with 2.1.6.1 and 2.2
using SC200's with nary an ncr diagnostic.  It seems unlikely that I
missed too much between 2.1.6.1 and 2.1.7 for there to have been a
significant bug introduced into the ncr code.

Has anyone asked Stephan about this yet?  I really have been giving ncr a
workout and haven't seen this at all.

It might be good to look for any firmware upgrades that might be relevent
to the fuji disks.  I was seeing a problem with the quantum 4GB wide disks
which Justin Gibbs ultimately traced back to a firmware problem in the
drive itself.  In that case many people first believed it was a driver
problem when in fact it was the drives themselves!

Good luck!

-Chris