Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, Donald Burr <dburr@Powered-By.AC>, FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where to buy WaveLAN cards (both ISA and PCMCIA)?

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> Having perused the Linux Aironet driver sources a little while back, I
> would be much more concerned with the quality of the driver than the
> hardware at this point in time.  Bill seems to be reasonably close to
> having a working Aironet driver, so we'll have a chance to see for
> ourselves soon enough.

Very cool.  We're looking at them and WaveLAN cards for ad-hoc routing
research and possiable campus wide wiring.  I believe the comments were
not so much about the hardware/drivers as about problems getting access to
the specs which resulted in a limited subset of the cards being supported.
Since some people reported good results and we'll appparently be seeing a
driver soon, I'm inclined to believe it's mostly just "but the VHDL source
wasn't released under the GPL" bitching. ;-)

-- Brooks