Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 02:01:35 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Christoph Sold <cs@cheasy.de>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP RecvEchoReply -- how to keep them off my line?

> Brian,
> =

> thanks fro the fast response.
> =

> Brian Somers writes:
>  > > Hi Folks,
>  > > =

>  > > apologies for asking a FAQ, but I could not find it in the
>  > > (3.1-R) Handbook solved.
>  > > =

>  > > Looking through /var/log/ppp.log while dialed into one of my
>  > > ISPs, every 10 seconds a packet crawls through the line:
>  > > ---<snip>---
>  > > Jul 14 23:20:27 kiste ppp[1967]: tun0: LCP: deflink: RecvEchoReque=
st(34) state =3D Opened =

>  > > Jul 14 23:20:27 kiste ppp[1967]: tun0: LCP: deflink: SendEchoReply=
(34) state =3D Opened =

>  > > Jul 14 23:20:37 kiste ppp[1967]: tun0: LCP: deflink: RecvEchoReque=
st(35) state =3D Opened =

>  > > Jul 14 23:20:37 kiste ppp[1967]: tun0: LCP: deflink: SendEchoReply=
(35) state =3D Opened =

 =

>  > a repeat REQ, it *MUST* reply).
> =

> Too bad. I realize this happens on ppp level, where IP filtering is
> not able to kill the beast.
> =

>  > This should *not* refresh the idle timer though.  Does ``show b'' sa=
y =

>  > otherwise (with ``set log +hdlc lcp phase'' showing if traffic is =

>  > arriving) ?
> =

> Ummm, I=B4m out of my depth here: looking at /var/log/ppp.log, some dat=
a =

> scrolls by. After that, the idle timer gets reset. I included the data =

> for your reference.
> =

> Maybe there is other data hidden in there as well -- I cannot
> say.
> =

> Thanks for your fast response
> -Christoph Sold
> =

> P.S: I leave town for the weekend, so if I should look for anything els=
e,
> please be patient -- I=B4ll be back Tuesday evening.
[.....]

Oops.  I should have included tcp/ip logging in my suggestion... As I =

don't see any LCP messages about ECHO REQ/Response packets, I can =

only assume that all that data was IP traffic (and hence resets the =

timer).  The tcp/ip logging should show this - maybe you need to =

filter some of it....
-- =

Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>