Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:48:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@worldnet.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FIXED]Re: make: don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop

On August the 7th, I finally discovered what was my problem just before
leaving. In case it may help someone in the future, here is the
explanation.

While trying to build 4-1S with a just cvsup'ed source tree, I
encountered this problem. While searching and browsing the mailing list
I found that this exactly same problem was discussed a few weeks ago.

So I keep on cvsupping, updating and still having the problem. And still
no real answer from the mailing list. So I started to dig up and found
that this file was supposed to be updated from the contrib distribution.

Surprise! My contrib directory was owned by root whereas I updated from
another user. Due to the lot of messages from cvs and reading that this
problem was a known problem I was miles away of thinking that my problem
was due to cvs not being able to update the contrib directory.

That as simple as that.

Morality: several mistakes can lead to the exactly same diagnostic :)

Phil.