Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:55:12 +1000 (WET)
From:      Peter May <bruce!peter@osix.osix.oz.au>
To:        dev@flevel.demon.co.uk, osix!rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, gruner@hprbg5.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MCA Support?

Excerpts from FreeBSD: 12-Apr-95 Re: FreeBSD MCA Support?
@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (1001*)

> > Hi,
> >
> > Ive just installed FreeBSD on a VLB SVGA SCSI 486 DX4 100Mhz and I am very
> > impressed, well done :-)
> >
> > We also have a IBM PS/70 and would like to run a version of Berkeley Unix
> > on that machine. I read in the docs (V2.0 RELEASE) that Micro Channel was
> > not yet supported but was believed to be nearly ready. Have you any news
> > on MCA support, if you have the email address on whoever is dealing with
> > this part of FreeBSD I would be grateful.

Damn. I knew this would happen soon ...

> > BTW - If you need a beta-tester for a MCA version of FreeBSD I would be
> > happy to do some testing.

Yes Please. Armin is currently Alpha testing what we hope to submit to
-core shortly as support for basic Microchannel. It supports ESDI disk
only, no SCSI as yet, and has been tested on both an IBM ThinkPad 700C
(which is a microchannel laptop) and a PS/2 mod 70.

It's probably time that we sent out a call for testers for the MCA stuff
- we really have only a limited number of machines to deal with here
(I'm in Australia, Armin is somewhere in Europe) and while it gets
production style use at both places it would be good to have some level
of confidence.

If interested parties would like to send me E-Mail addresses, I will
start a list here for Alpha testing before the 2.1 integration gets into
> -core.

Regards,

Peter May                           OSIX Pty Ltd
Director                            Level 1, 261-263 Pacific Highway
Technical Services                  North Sydney. NSW. Australia. 2060.

Home: +61-2-418-7656                Internet: peter@osix.oz.au
Work: +61-2-922-3999                Fax:  +61-2-922-3314