Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 06:28:19 +0100
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, tony@saign.com (tony)
Subject:   Re: IP addresses changing...

tony wrote:

> I just received an email from my ISP that all my IP addresses are changing!
> Any hints from anyone on how to keep the downtime minimal, and update all my
> DNS records so I don't fall off the face of the Internet!

1) make sure your DNS servers stay reachable.
in doubt use entries for old an new as nameservers.

IN	NS	new-dns-server.do.amin.
IN	NS	old-dns-server.do.amin.
IN	NS	backup.do.main.

2)  limit the time the entries given out by your dns
eg. 100 seconds

www	100	IN	A	10.10.10.10

3) 3 hours before the change:
  limit the time the entries given out by your dns

www	1	IN	A	10.10.10.10

4) you move ...
www     1       IN      A       10.20.20.20

5) you can now swtichback to 3 if something is wrong.
if everything is fine .... make teh entries full valid again:
www             IN      A       10.20.20.20

> I have 5 days....

already short, some servers will cache your entries for a week.
but the time to life in DNS will still help 90% of your customers.

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]