Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 14:11:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        dsnyder@web.turner.com
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended notebook for FreeBSD

In local.freebsd.mobile you write:

[...]

>I'm using a Sony VAIO PCG-Z505JS (Model PCG-5201) (1024x768x24) with
>FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE (I will probably upgrade to 4.4-RELEASE this
>weekend).  The only odd thing that I've had to do is dislable USB
>support in the Kernel and enable Plug-and-Play O/S in the BIOS in
>order to get my PCMCIA slot to work well.  Also, I don't have the
>on-board soft modem working.

>Everything else works very well.  I was using XFree86 3.x, but it was
>not accellerated for the NeoMagic chipset, so I purchased a commercial

I have a PCG-505JE, wich I believe has almost the same specs, apart
from a slower CPU and less memory.  XFree 3.3.6 works fine if I
specify Chipset "NM2200".  XFree 4.1.0 also works, but needs a few
tweaks (disable one or two accelaration  features, but not all
acceleration entirely), or X will hang after a while.

   $.02,
   /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com