Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 11:41:10 +1100
From:      "Jordan Race" <jordan@excitech.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <gazzar@ozemail.com.au>
Subject:   pppd, mgetty and Macintosh

We have a FreeBSD 3.0 release machine with 4 modems that accept terminal and
pppd (kernel) connections. Terminal dialins work fine, as do ppp from
Windows machines. eg, the client is assigned an ip and client side routes
are set up. Proxyarp works correctly and forwards packets onto the local
ethernet.

The problem is that Macintosh clients do not work so smoothly. The client is
authenticated, using PAP, LCP and IPCP appear to work correctly. When we try
to do anything from the Macintosh client nothing happens. The mac is running
open transport and when we get the info about the connection the mac client
knows its IP address (which is correct), but says that it has no subnet
mask, or default router. Does anybody have any idea why, or any experience
with similar problems?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan