Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:15:24 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2-STABLE hangs after several hours ... (2nd update)

Hi again,

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

>  Update: after taking off the cover of the machine (I had some heat
> problems in the past) and rebuilding a DDB kernel everything gone very
> smooth & stable -- over 3 days of uptime. That smells very much like
> sensible hardware, I assume that including DDB in the kernel doesn't
> change too much the game ??
>
>  Anyway, now I supped & rebuilt once again the kernel (up to Alan's
> latest vm_map.c fixup) and changed a NIC (from a flakey -- speaking of
> software driver -- RealTeck rl0 to a brand new Intel Pro 10/100+ fxp0).
> I'll try to put the cover back on somtime next weeks and get back to you
> if anything noticeable comes up...

 2nd update: Nope, it's not faulty hardware, rest assured -- the freezes
happen less often but they still come...

 The last freeze showed a double fault screen and my co-worker wrote down
the EIP: 0xc017a572 .

nm kernel.debug | sort | grep c017a5 shows:

c017a538 t rn_search
c017a564 t rn_search_m
c017a5a4 T rn_refines

 He said this happened when he tried to surf to a URL with a non-existent
hostname -- and it appears to me that rn_search might be related to
res_search(3) lookup functions ?

 I'm going to update the machine to 3.3-STABLE very soon and I'll keep you
posted if I get into any more troubles...

 Thanks again,
 Ady (@warpnet.ro)