Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:15:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!klemm.gtn.com!andreas, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        ponds!marlin.com.br!acorreia, ponds!freebsd.org!hackers
Subject:   Re: Problems restoring Backups !!!

> >On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >Hi Justin, thanks that you take the time on that. BTW, I just wrote
> >a problem report. I'm not sure if I had a kernel with your changes from
> >Nov. 7th. But I'm just cvsupping and will repeat that with a new kernel.
>
> Your problem report had the information I needed to understand and fix your
> problem.  I changed the QUEUE FULL condition code to not do an
> unconditional retry a little while ago, and you must be running out of
> retries.  You should be able to get this kind of thing to happen in other
> scenarios besides dumping.  I'll fix this today.

 Is it possible this is related to the aha2940 problems I've been
seeing with resetting the SCSI bus?  (With 2.1.5-STABLE).

 Just to catch up - when I write a tape (say, with 'tar') [this is
a WANGTEK 5150ES] - things go fine until the operation is complete.
Then the tape drive begins to rewind and I get lots of messages,
followed by (sometimes) a loop some where with the SCSI bus
being reset over-and-over...  I say  sometimes  because if the tape
happens to be in a position where the rewind is quick, the problem
doesn't degrade to a total SCSI lock-up.

 Here's my previous description of one of these:

>  Now, every time I write to the tape device (a Wangtek 5150ES QIC-150),
> when I get to the end of the writing, and the tape begins to rewind;
> *whamo* - my SCSI bus locks up....
>
> The messages, of course, are not logged in /var/log/messages - because
> nothing can be written out.
>
> I've jotted them down - from my paper notes they are:
>
>    ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset #1.  n SCB's aborted
>    sd0(ahc0:0:0) timed out in message out phase, SCSISGI==0xb4
>    sd0(ahc0:0:0) asserted ATN - device reset in message buffer
>    sd0(ahc0:0:0) timed out in message out phase, SCSISGI==0xa4

	- Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -