Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2017 10:16:49 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, lidl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> should take:

>> from the default .login/.profile files.

>> freebsd-tips the default, possibly by symlinking it as
>> /usr/share/games/fortune/fortunes.
>> >
>> > Of these options, only #2 is approximately correct.
>> >
>> > I think just leaving the code as-is, and symlinking the freebsd-tips t=
>> > be the default fortune datafile is the correct course of action.
>> >
>> > Removing the offensive flag handling dictates policy towards users
>> > of the program.  If someone wants to add their own offensive datafile
>> > to their system, the code ought to allow them to select it.
>>
>> Agreed.  I think removing the default datfiles so that someone can
>> maintain
>> a port is fine, but we should leave freebsd-tips and the tool.  When
>> the -o database was moved out of base we didn't remove the -o option, bu=
>> instead extended the tool to work with string files in /usr/local.  The
>> current state is fine.  The drama and lost time has always been about th=
>> 4BSD datfiles, never about freebsd-tips or the tool itself, so the issue
>> is
>> resolved.
>>

> I like this plan. Let's call it consensus and implement.

[[ stupid gmail UI -- hit send too soon ]]

I call it "consensus" but know there's a number of folks on one end of the
spectrum that want it gone completely, and some on the other end that want
the datafile restored. And all sorts of opinions in between. Maybe "rough
consensus" in that it's about the "centroid" of the mass of opinions on the
topic, and a good argument can be made.

I find the "freebsd-tips is useful and makes the system more friendly,"
argument persuasive. I think it would help our brand and user experience to
have it there by default and it is very much the sort of thing that should
be in the base. Having the "fiunny" data files in a port and having the
tool in the base system is a reasonable compromise, though one that will be
revisited with pkg src in the future so if we get it wrong there's a
natural decision point not too far away.

Warner