Date:      Fri, 06 May 2005 12:44:20 +0200
From:      Eirik =?ISO-8859-1?B?2A==?=verby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Current status of nullfs and/or unionfs?

On 05-05-05 16:59, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Eirik [ISO-8859-1] =D8verby wrote:
>=20
>> The solution, or at least parts of it, would be to have certain parts of
>> the jail filesystems mounted in via nullfs (acceptable solution) or
>> unionfs (ideal solution). However, ever since FreeBSD 4.10 this has been
>> a major problem, as both filesystems started exhibiting major stability
>> and data integrity issues.
>=20
> I'm running 4.11 with ~90 mount/jails running on two of our servers ...
> haven't noticed any stability problems ... what are you seeing?

I was seeing panics and deadlocks (hangs), seemingly unrelated to the level
of disk activity, and sometimes I even had the suspicion that just having
such a mountpoint, even though the jail wasn't started, could be enough to
bring the system down. The problems appeared around 4.9/4.10.
Even though I mounted these read-only, I still saw data going bad in
directories that was null-mounted. This scared me away for a very long time
;)

I'm just now picking up on the unionfs use, seems to do what I want, but I
have no idea if it's stable or not. I suppose we'll be seeing that soon.

/Eirik

=20