Date:      Tue, 24 May 2005 17:36:54 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>, Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>, stable@FreeBSD.org, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: new base system snmpd

--=-zuvYVqyBOE0h5aF332kL

Hi, Patrick,

=E5=9C=A8 2005-05-24=E4=BA=8C=E7=9A=84 10:15 +0200=EF=BC=8CPatrick M. Hause=
n=E5=86=99=E9=81=93=EF=BC=9A
> Hello!
>=20
> > -----
> > FreeBSD 5.4 will become an "Errata Branch". In addition to Security
> > fixes other well-tested fixes to basic functionality will be committed
> > to the RELENG_5_4 branch after the release.
> > -----
> >=20
> > However, it is neither a "New Features Branch" nor a "New Documents
> > Branch".
>=20
> Correct. But the snmpd itself is already in REELENG_5_4 so the
> missing documentation could be considered a bug and the new
> files could be considered an "other well-tested fix" ;-)

Yes, but not what we say, a "must have" change that should take place in
a "FreeBSD errata branch", as the latter is not supposed to change
often, to prevent our users from being upgrading so often which is a
nightmare for their managements, and what's more, it's possible to view
the current manpages through our website.

For an errata branch, the security officer and the release engineering
team does not generally approve a proposed change, unless it is
considered as a "must have" change, i.e. a security fix, or reproducible
instability fix.  The new documentations will go to CVS -HEAD, then
merged into the stable branch(es), and finally get into the next release
^_^

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>  http://www.delphij.net/