Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:35:31 +0000
From:      Mark R V Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r274739 - head/sys/mips/conf

> On 21 Nov 2014, at 09:22, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
>=20
> Mark Murray wrote this message on Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 08:25 +0000:
>>=20
>>> On 20 Nov 2014, at 08:48, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Should we make random standard now?  We don't live in the 90's =
anymore,
>>> and a system really can't function w/o randomness anymore???
>>=20
>> There is a case to be made for making it default in all/most kernel
>> configs.
>>=20
>> I disagree on making it compulsory in all cases, as very small =
embedded
>> systems can easily argue for not having it.
>=20
> How will it talk w/ the out side world?  w/o random, No sshd, no
> https...  providing randomness is a core component of a modern OS=E2=80=A6=

There are many options, including telnet, rsh, rcp, http, ftp and serial =
ports.

> If you're really going for small embeded, you don't want FreeBSD,

Who are you to tell me what I want? ;-)

>> There is some compulsory infrastructure; this gets you the =
???dummy???
>> driver which just blocks and never delivers anything.
>=20
> Plus, you'd need to turn off the entropy boot script among other
> things=E2=80=A6

Correct.

> If you can demonstrate a usable system w/o much modifications that
> runs w/ the dummy interface, or no boot random, that I'll drop my
> suggestion...  I'll try removing random tomorrow and see what =
breaks=E2=80=A6

Quite a lot will break straight out-of-the-box right now, but I bet I
can get a system with working telnetd/rshd going in under an hour.

--=20
Mark R V Murray