Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:01:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, nsouch@teaser.fr, des@flood.ping.uio.no
Subject:   new ppbus driver problem

    This is with -current.

    I've been getting crashes during boot with the new ppbus stuff and lpt0
    enabled.

    It detects the parallel port just fine, but further on in the boot
    sequence the system gets an RTC error and then it just locks up
    completely... it doesn't even get past the kernel config ( never gets
    to execing init ).

    I was able to solve the problem by commenting out most of the probe code
    in i386/isa/ppc.c, as shown below.  I don't know which port in the probe
    code is causing the problem, but something in there is blowing up my
    systems.

    Maybe the probe code should be a little more conservative, with a
    kernel config option to be less conservative ????

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

static int
ppc_detect(struct ppc_data *ppc, int chipset_mode) {

        int i, mode;

        /* list of supported chipsets */
        int (*chipset_detect[])(struct ppc_data *, int) = {
#if 0
                ppc_pc873xx_detect,
                ppc_smc37c66xgt_detect,
                ppc_w83877f_detect,