Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:02:25 -0400
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for testers -- CONF_FILES variable
References:  <BANLkTikvMU2dK=aN=hFgxA8wfvUitmfbRA@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTinBC184bwcQ1Sfyy9xsw9usqr3SJQ@mail.gmail.com> <BANLkTi=nQByFgGNP--hkA4AF04Sw95s8jw@mail.gmail.com> <4E0C5B7A.5060102@FreeBSD.org> <CAF6rxgnkxuGcNk8O7vz0aLFBo2jLU-G%2BxaXSAS1Zvik2%2B%2BYtiw@mail.gmail.com> <4E109521.10209@FreeBSD.org> <CAF6rxgmiLvMFiUWv3BLYd7UjxJpOH3DBAPBkT5wOL=wM2UhrGw@mail.gmail.com> <64bc4d1f59e39f71f77ced1aed64e734@etoilebsd.net>

> The reason I choose pkgconf (we can change that name) is that it concerns
> only configuration files that the maintainers DO want.
>
> I want to make sure that maintainers are looking at the samples the proprose
> to provide a usable sample, not the default one from the distfile (the
> default one can still be provided as an example.)

So, this suffix is only for configuration files that port maintainers
write and included sample files from upstream
would not have this suffix?

Why would the maintainer be writing sample conf files? It is not the
maintainer's job to write documentation for the upstream project. The
only case I could see this becoming an issue is if the default
configuration file ignores hier(1) and a REINPLACE is needed. I do
_not_ want to see sample configuration files being written for ports
unless a considerable amount of rework is needed to make the
application run on FreeBSD.

> I wanted that pkgng and the ports in general can manage default usable
> configuration files, and to distinguish them from the samples. Thanks crees@
> has done the job I wanted to do myself so that and he has done it right.

I am confused. I thought Chris's option was for the upstream sample
configuration files.My understanding is that it replaces the logic of
"only delete the real config file if it does not differ from the
sample file".  Why then does it matter who wrote the sample since the
logic works the same way? Either we will need multiple copies of this
macro, one for "official" files and the other for "package" files or
the logic will still have to be replicated per port for non-included
samples. IMHO the suffix (and type of sample file) should not be
touched by the macro.

Perhaps I misunderstand what will be new in pkgng or what this patch provides?

--
Eitan Adler