Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:09:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: explosion in FAQ this morning..

> > This is when making a release on the 3.3-STABLE (erm, RC :) branch.
>
> Umm..you should not be doing anything in /usr/doc/FAQ.  That directory
> should be cvs-remove'd by now.  The FAQ is supposed to be built in
> /usr/doc/<lang>/books/faq/.

Again, this is a make release.  If there's a /usr/doc/FAQ there, it's
because the `cvs co doc' checked one out. :) All release builds start
with a blank slate, as it were, and if there are components which
shouldn't be there, directories which shouldn't exist or build
failures which occur, it's all due to some problem in the doc sources,
the mtree templates or src/release/Makefile, not a procedural error.

The stuff in src/release/Makefile is also pretty straight-forward
so I tend to suspect that it's one of the others.

> Is your /usr/doc/Makefile up to date?  It should be revision 1.14 or
> later, and should include doc.subdir.mk at the bottom.

I'll check this just to verify it, but since I'm now building
with NODOC=YES in all my tests just so I can get a test snapshot
out, I'll have to restart my build first.

- Jordan