Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 01:48:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        mcneills@inw.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good InfoWorld Article

> The only bad thing about Petreley's article is that he claims to be
> of what he calls the "Who Cares movement," meaning that he doesn't
> care (or claims not to care) about licensing issues. This is very
> bad judgment, because he is ignoring the destructive effects of
> the GPL.

This is the distinction between "use" and "utilize", again.

If you are merely going to utilize the code, instead of using
to prepare derivative works, then you honestly don't care about
the license.

For example, FreeBSD utilizes GNU programming tools to build FreeBSD,
and could really care less that they are GNU (with the exception
that binutils orphaned a.out).

If FreeBSD cared, there would be a strong push for different tools
(e.g. TenDRA).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---